My photo
Being a modeller for quite a few years now, I decided to explore the endless possibilities that the world (through internet) offers, and come up with a series of ways of building, modelling and painting fast (but not hastily), to create the worlds I was seeing in history books since I was little. . .If you care to join me. . . This is the place to be! And, I promise you to find the way (or ways)!!

Thursday 2 August 2012

Eastern Front wooden gates – how to tutorial – Part #2


Good afternoon L&G….



From my last post, we saw the steps I followed in order to build two wooden gates for my eastern front houses. In this post, you will read about the gluing procedure and you will see the finished terrain pieces alongside some other terrain pieces I’ve made some time ago.



Part 14.

I then glued the thin balsa strips (wooden shingles) on to the four pieces of 0.5 cm. After that I glued two pieces (per gate) on to the 0.5 cm * 0.5 cm balsa strips (Part 3 & 9).



Part 15.

I then glued all the pieces together on to the plastic (vinyl tiles) bases. This is the final result of the building procedure.



Part 16.

Some wood/PVA glue and some sand applied on the bases and then, I waited for them to dry. That’s about it really.





The painting steps are the following (you can find it here also):

1.       Dark brown emulsion paint (base colour).

2.       Vallejo's Panzer Aces' 310 Old wood paint (drybrushing them). By this way I highlighted the extreme surfaces of the wood trunks.

3.       The last and final step of painting the models (dark brown - old wood), was to use some VMC Green Grey. Again with the drybrush method (but only lighter this time), I gave the final highlight on the wood trunks. I repeat, - light drybrushing.

4.       I then painted the bases (Dark brown, Light brown and Tan brown), and, after that I applied some greenery on them.




Part 17.

In this last sequence of photos, you will see the finished terrain pieces painted. I reckon they blend well with the other eastern front wooden fences and huts I made some time ago.





I hope you liked the tutorial and you found it useful. You may use these gates in other fields, such as Normandy or Italy, depending on your taste! :-)


C&C are welcome!
Cheers everyone!


T.

10 comments:

  1. Well written and easy to follow..nice tutorial
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this and it's great that you put the paint colors in as well. This turned out superbly and it fits in perfectly with the rest of the terrain.

    I finally got some wood yesterday and I finally got a cutting map with gridlines so my work will be neat and tidy like the rest of the guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. Im trying to be as consistent as possible... :)

      Delete
  3. You've done a great job with those T. They fit in really well with your existing terrain too. Keep up the good work!

    Cheers,
    JS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jack. I think it came out rather well. Well beyond my expectations.

      Delete
  4. Great work Thanos, they remind me of saloon bar doors...Mmmmm beer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the back of my head, beer has its place - always. Thank you Paul! :)

      Delete
  5. Ah! yes another masterpiece. Great work T I like the little finishing touches like the handles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greg. The handles are from an old chain I had in my inventory. It came out handy... :)

      Delete